Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Forager's Harvest

Tuesday,  June 10, 2014

This is our go to guide on Minnesota foraging. Here is just a snipet of the awesomeness this book contains. 

"In May I walk down to the stream near my house with a fishing pole, some bags, and a trowel. I dig up a few wild leeks, placing any earthworms that I encounter into a small jar. When satisfied with my take of either bait or vegetables, I drop my line into the clay-tinted rushing waters to entice a hungry brook trout from his undercut bank. Before I depart with a couple of fish, I stop to add a handful of ostrich fern fiddle heads to my bag. The warblers are singing, flitting among the treetops that are just beginning to don the fresh green of spring, and the spring peepers chirp from every pond or puddle. On the way home I encounter a black bear, feeding as I am on the bounty of the spring woods."

How much easier and how much more fun it is to harvest from God's garden than to toil in your own! 

~Samuel Thayer 2006, an excerpt from 'The Forager's Harvest'



No comments:

Post a Comment